Our vision, mission and values
safety here, with everyday Australians encouraged and empowered to provide a warm and supportive welcome into local communities.
Our mission: To lead in encouraging, developing and supporting programs that expand and improve refugee settlement in Australia by harnessing the generosity, goodwill and social capital of everyday Australians.
Our values: Human kindness | Courage | Autonomy | Innovation | Trust
- Refugees experience a sense of welcome upon arrival.
- Refugees can access more resettlement opportunities in Australia.
- Those with the most compelling resettlement/humanitarian needs are included and prioritised for resettlement.
- Refugees are supported to fulfil their full aspirations as soon as they’re ready.
- Refugees quickly develop strong ties in their local communities.
- All generations of a refugee household receive holistic support, with flow-on benefits for future generations.
- Local communities can express their desire to help and give in a way that responds to the global refugee challenge and enhances global equity.
- Everyday Australians have greater exposure to individuals who have been forced to flee – their history, capacities and potential.
- Local communities can choose to become a settlement location for refugees.
- Australia has new settlement tools that support a larger and sustainable humanitarian program, featuring cost contributions from both government and members of the community.
- Australia is recognised as a global leader in refugee protection.
- Refugees settle in a wide range of Australian locations, supporting a cohesive and multicultural society.
- There is strong public knowledge of and support for Australia’s humanitarian migration program.
- More members of Australian communities are actively engaged in refugee settlement.
Guiding principles for our work
- We are non-partisan, positive and future focussed.
- We build consensus and shared visions for the future to open up more opportunities for refugees.
- We create a mutually enriching exchange between newcomers and established Australians.
- We celebrate refugee contributions and the role of community supporters.
- Support of refugees respects refugee capacity, autonomy, agency and ability to make valuable contributions to Australia (‘strengths-based approach’) and takes into account the potential impact of trauma (‘trauma informed’).
- Support of refugees is a group endeavour. Groups take a holistic approach and are trusted as effective and self-directing problem solvers.
- Groups providing support to refugees are themselves well supported.
- Our work and programs are informed by lived experience of refugees and Australian community members.
- We seek to promote and uphold safety, equality and respect for all involved in our programs.
- We are committed to continuous learning and improvement.