Housing, Health & Other Services
Useful links to information about housing, health and other services available in Australia.
Be sure to investigate what programs and services your local government authority has on offer for members of your local community. You may be pleasantly surprised at the range of things on offer – some programs might be for specific communities (eg migrants/refugees) but there will also be things available to the community at large that your mentee might benefit from accessing.
- Australian Government Department of Home Affairs – Key settlement topics – Health and well-being
- Australian Government Department of Health – Programme of Assistance for Survivors of Torture and Trauma (includes TPV/SHEV holders)
- (NSW) Multicultural NSW – New Arrivals to NSW – Health
- Refugee Council of Australia – Information on your health care, including mental health and disability
- Refugee Health Network of Australia – refugeehealthaustralia.org/
- STARTTS, Working with HACC [Home and Community Care] clients from refugee-like backgrounds
- (Canada) Refugee Sponsorship Training Program – Preserving & Improving the Mental Health of Refugees, their Sponsors & Supporters
Centrelink & Other Payments & Services
- Services Australia – Migrants, refugees and visitors
- Services Australia – Help for refugees, humanitarian entrants and new arrivals (includes permanent Protection visa holders)